West Central Steel (WCS) is a growing steel service center in central Minnesota. In 2018 we increased our parts processing capabilities by 40%. With an 85,000 square foot expansion we have 250,000 square feet of processing and distribution space and a reputation for helping our customers grow through responsive service, reliable deliveries and innovative processing.
We are looking for an Outside Sales Representative to help continue our corporate growth and profitability. The primary responsibilities are business development and building/maintaining customer relationships with West Central Steel, Inc. This position is expected to travel on an average of 70%. This position will also include meeting strategic sales goals as determined by WCS Management and reports to the Sales Manager.
- Develop productive sales call route on a weekly basis, and share sales plan regularly
- Generate new business and grow current business in each market segment
- Know WCS capabilities and guide the customer to solutions based on capabilities to meet their needs
- Promotion of value added services and a “one stop shop” vendor
- Gain sales market information from customers and relay to Inside Sales Representatives and Sales leadership
- Market WCS in a positive way, at all times, and articulate our value to the customer
- Create and maintain effective sales call reports and distribute to the sales team weekly
- Provide item quote pricing to customers when applicable
- Follow up with customers and assist the inside sales team as necessary
- Effective listening and communication with customers
- Maintain professionalism and ethical business practices
- Study steel market trends and know about future price changes
- Full participation in periodic sales meetings, as scheduled
- Resolve customer issues and to take care of the customer to instill trust and build the relationship
- You will build rapport with customers over the phone, through email and in person
- You have a high attention to detail, willingness to learn new methods and grow as an individual
- You can work as a team between sales, operations, administration and management to help meet the customer’s expectations and grow the business
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of sales and/or purchasing experience, demonstrated knowledge of customer service, account management, and selling in steel distribution, processing and fabrication (or related industries). In addition, this individual will possess the following:
- Possess a high energy, strong desire to achieve top results with a charismatic, positive “can-do” attitude.
- Strong negotiation and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to make persuasive presentations to clients and to upper management.
- Strong customer service orientation with ability to initiate and sustain productive business relationships with customers.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively work across a broad spectrum of functions within all company units.
- Excellent analytical abilities with ability to review prints, analyze data, solve problems and make effective decisions.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and Windows based applications.
- Sales representative selling carbon steel and steel processing
- Demonstrated knowledge of ferrous materials and the metals industry
- Bachelor’s degree or more
Competitive wages, Performance Bonus, 401(k) with match and generous benefits package